Shaykh al-Hadith Mawlana Muhammad Zakariyya’s Written Works
According to Mawlana Sayyid Muhammad Shahid Saharanpuri, the written works of his maternal grandfather, Shaykh al-Hadith Mawlana Muhammad Zakariyya (may Allah illuminate his grave) amount to a hundred and three (103). From these, fourty-two (42) have been published, while sixty-one (61) remain unpublished.
A breakdown of subjects the eminent Shaykh wrote on is below:
· Tafsir (Qur’anic exegesis): Two (2) books
· Hadith: Sixty (60) books
· Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh (Islamic Law and its principles): Four (4) books
· Tarikh and Sirah (History and the life of the Prophet (may Allah bless him and give him peace): Twenty-two (22)
· Tajwid and Qira’ah (Qur’anic recitation and its rules): Two (2) books
· Arabic Grammar, Classical Logic (Mantiq) and geometry: Three (3) books
· Suluk and Ihsan (Sufism or Tasawwuf): Three (3) books
· In defence Of Islam: Four (4) books
· Miscellaneous subjects: Three (3) books
Shaykh al-Hadith Mawlana Muhammad Zakariyya began compiling Tarikh Masha’ikh-e-Chisht (Lives Of Shaykhs Of The Chishti Order) in 1335 AH (1918 CE). However, due to his academic occupations he was unable to complete it. It was completed some fifty-seven years later by Mawlana Muhammad Shahid Saharanpuri (under the dictation of Shaykh al-Hadith) and published in Rabi‘ al-Awwal, 1392 AH (April 1972 CE).
Adapted from Dhikr-e-Zakariyya (Markaz al-Shaykh Abi ’l-Hasan al-Nadwi, 2006 CE/1426 AH ed.) p. 396
Note: For details on Shaykh al-Hadith Mawlana Muhammad Zakariyya’s unpublished works please refer to Mawlana Muhammad Shahid Saharanpuri’s article in the aforementioned book (p. 395-410), or in his Fihrist Ta’lifat-e-Shaykh, published in three-volumes.